Tuesday, August 19, 2008

If You Are Going to Run A Panel...

...speak with energy and enthusiasm. Holy smokes! I'm sitting here at Search Engine Strategies at a vendor sponsored event. I won't name names, but c'mon! Show some energy!

If you are going to spend the time and effort to prepare for and speak at an event, you have to show some life. Be passionate about your topic. Tell a funny story. Most of us have heard this stuff before and are sitting on our laptops or Blackberries working. We are looking for something special, something interesting. If you are as bored as we are, do you really think we are going to listen.

Sorry to rant, but I consider it a privilege to sit in front of a crowd and present to them. Even if they are high school kids, I want them to learn something. I want them to remember my talk. I want them to say, "Hey, I learned something." So I'll give them stories, personal experiences, interesting data. I'll vary my voice and solicit their comments.

A lot of these panelists for companies and see this as part of their humdrum job. They go home, have no impact and still get their paycheck.

C'mon, my friend, you can do better!

No comments: