Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Back from Hawaii - Off to Mumbai



Our fun family trip to Hawaii is over as the New Year begins. See the sunrise from the our house above.

Somehow my wife always finds an excellent house for us to rent. This one was in the little town of Kualoa on the Windward side of Oahu. It's a place where Jurassic Park was film with , soaring mountains that would hide their tops in the clouds. Our house faced the beach, where we could see the rising sun every morning from our bedroom. Because of the protection of the coral reef, we had a mellow beach where the kids could play all day without worrying about any undertow. You could walk half a mile and the water would never get more than chest high. While canoing we saw a sea turtle up close that darted away the minute they sensed our presenced. While nothing like Hanauma Bay, snorkeling provided excellent views of all kinds of fish.

Given that the Mumbai Marathon was only a month away, I decided to run a 17 and 20 miler during the week. Oahu had 2 of the 3 elements I would face in Mumbai - heat and humidity. I'm hoping that I will be able to cope with the pollution. The runs were grueling, but with some weight loss before the event, I hope to finish - albeit slower than previous times.

The best part was spending time with my immediate family and my uncle's family that happened to visit Oahu at the same time. We took them to the Polynesian Cultural Center (terrific web site) and the Big Waves of the North Shore. We saw 20 foot waves crash into the shore - some with manical boarders.

I thank our clients for taking time to enjoy the Holiday Week. It allowed me to actually get away from work for the first time in over a year.

Happy New Year!!!

No comments: